Population: 5,600. Lugarno is located 23 kilometres south of the Sydney CBD and is part of the St George region. A peninsula on the northern bank of the Georges River, it lies across the local government area of the City of Hurstville. The suburb is named after Lake Lugano, Switzerland where steep mountains rise out of the water. Lugarno has a similar view only on a smaller scale, across the broad expanse of the George’s River to the sheer rocky hillsides beyond. In the mid-1800’s a punt operated across the river and a ferry serviced the area, however, its operation was ultimately discontinued with the opening of the Alfords Point Bridge.
Real Estate & Design
Lugarno offers of a wide range of housing including prestige waterfronts, high calibre family homes, quaint Californian bungalows and a number of villas and townhouses. The shopping centre has preserved its charming village feel which contains all the necessary shopping conveniences along with a number of quality cafes. With such diverse styles of housing residents hail from a wide cross-section of the community, with a definite emphasis on a family lifestyle.
- Punchbowl Bus Company (punchbowlbus.com.au) operate services in the Lugarno area
Known for its large areas of bushland, Lugarno has a number of local bush parks including Evatt Park where the local Lions Club hosts Carols by Candlelight each year and the duck pond and play area are a popular attraction for young families. Sport and recreation are part of daily life in Lugarno with the area boasting its own baseball, cricket, soccer and netball teams (lugarno.zoomshare.com). Lugarno has its own Progress Association (mylugarno.com.au) dedicated to preserving the history and development of the area.
Schools, Education and Institutions
- Lugarno Public School (lugarno-p.schools.nsw.edu.au)
- Georges River College – Peakhurst Campus (grc.nsw.edu.au/peakhurst)
- Georges River College – Oatley Senior Campus (grc.nsw.edu.au/oatley)
- Sydney Technical High School (sths.nsw.edu.au)
- St George Girls High School (sgghs.com.au)
- Caringbah High School (caringbah-h.schools.nsw.edu.au)
- Danebank Anglican School for Girls (www.danebank.nsw.edu.au)
- St George Christian School (sgcs.com.au)
- Marist College Penshurst (maristpenshurst.catholic.edu.au)
- Bethany College (bethanyhurstville.catholic.edu.au)