Population: 11,300. Peakhurst is located 21 kilometres south of the Sydney CBD, is part of the St George region and lies across the local government area of the City of Hurstville. Peakhurst Heights is a separate suburb to the south, bordered by Boggywell Creek and Lime Kiln Bay. Peakhurst is named after its landholder John Robert Peake whose name was taken when the public school was founded in 1871 and it was later adopted by the suburb. Peakhurst is colloquially known as “Peaky”.
Real Estate & Design
Peakhurst consists mainly of residential dwellings, villas and townhouses with commercial and industrial centres predominantly located along Forest and Boundary Roads. The suburb contains a quantity of high calibre family homes, quaint Californian bungalows and a number of large prestige dwellings to the South in Peakhurst Heights. The diverse range of housing suggests Peakhurst has something to offer professionals, families and empty nesters alike.
Punchbowl Bus Company (punchbowlbus.com.au) operate services in the Peakhurst area
With tennis courts (hurstville.nsw.gov.au/Tennis-Courts), a golf course (hurstvillegolfclub.com.au) and numerous sporting fields located at Gannons Park and Peakhurst Park, sport and recreation is a way of life in the area. The local Lions Club (lugarnolions.org.au/home/spring-festival/sponsorship-festival) conducts its Spring Festival each September attracting families from near and far, and each Christmas Eve the residents of Peakhurst Heights congregate on the streets where houses are adorned with Christmas lights and decorations and the streets are lined with candles. Various retail shops, restaurants and cafes are located within the area and lower Gannons Park offers an off-leash area for dogs along with a puppy training school.
Schools, Education and Institutions
- Peakhurst Public School (peakhurst-p.schools.nsw.edu.au)
- Peakhurst South Public School (peakhursts-p.schools.nsw.edu.au)
- Peakhurst West Public School (peakhurstw-p.schools.nsw.edu.au)
- Georges River College – Peakhurst Campus (grc.nsw.edu.au/peakhurst)
- Georges River College – Oatley Senior Campus (grc.nsw.edu.au/oatley)
- Sydney Technical High School (sths.nsw.edu.au)
- St George Girls High School (sgghs.com.au)
- Caringbah High School (caringbah-h.schools.nsw.edu.au)
- Danebank Anglican School for Girls (www.danebank.nsw.edu.au)
- St George Christian School (sgcs.com.au)
- Marist College Penshurst (maristpenshurst.catholic.edu.au)
- Bethany College (bethanyhurstville.catholic.edu.au)